Sunday, April 13, 2014

Gingerbread Blair



The shirt so nice, I made it twice (lol)! As predicted, I made another Blair top, and I think I love this one even more than the first. It's always great when you've made a pattern before and know what to expect (in this case, easy sewing and awesome fit): it's even better when you choose a much-loved fabric in a great new colour (this is the same kind of double-faced knit I used for my colour-block Hemlock, and it is soooooo soft and drapey). In this case, the right side of the fabric is a beautiful shade of warm gold that can best be described  as "gingerbread dough" (which, btw,  is totally not done justice by these photos). The back side is a plain black , which I think adds more depth to the gingerbread colour on the other side than if it were white or any other light colour. Not exactly a spring colour, but so rich and fun to wear...

So...many...photos!
As mentioned above, the fit of this top is great...however, the neck finish on the original pattern didn't really work that well for me last time, so I simply used the neckline and neck band from Grainline's Hemlock tee on this version, and it turned out much better imo.

Anyways, I already blabbed a bunch last week about how great Named patterns are, so I won't bore you to death this week with more of the same. However, I can tell you that since making these Blair tops and beginning work on their Jamie jeans, I have already added a few more of their patterns to my list of future makes (I am especially temtped by the Leini dress, which is ridiculous because I am essentially anti-dress, but I guess hope springs eternal or something?). Anyways, I hope to see a lot more finished Named projects around in the near future :) 


4 comments:

  1. You are right to praise Named! Not only they draft wonderful patterns, they also listen to their audience like nobody else!

    I like your top! Mustard (or gingerbread) colour is one of my favorites but I cannot wear it. But it looks so nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's funny about the colour...I actually find that I look terrible in a lot of "normal" colours, like pink, green, anything pastel, etc. Yet somehow the "ugly" colours work for me :)

      Delete
  2. Really cool top! It looks awesome on you! Blair has been on my wish list for a while now.. And I love the colour you picked! I just made the Kielo wrap and can't wait to try more Named patterns..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Blair top works up so fast and easy, you'll want to make five more as soon as you finish the first one! The Kielo wrap is so beautiful, simple but clever at the same time...will you be posting pictures soon?

      Delete