Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Winter Tweed


Yes, yes, YES! So excited about the new BT winter 2014 collection!! So excited I don't even care that I haven't knit anything from their last collection yet, because these sweaters are gorgeous!!!

Ok, deep breath. For some reason, I stopped obsessively checking the Brooklyn Tweed blog for news some time around Christmas. Then tonight, on my daily Ravelry skulk (yes, I'm embarrassed by the frequency), I noted some distinctly BT-esque colour schemes, and lo! proceeded to visually gulp in the lovely new patterns.

I'm pleased to report that this collection is rich in sweaters (as opposed to shawls, which are like scarves, but useless). Although a few of these have already met minor modifications in my mind (that mustard cardigan can definitely lose the belt), on the whole I am loving many of these. Here are a few favourites, with Ravelry links:

Top left - Benton, designed by Julie Hoover
Top right - Elmont, designed by Julie Hoover
Bottom left - Alloy, designed by Michele Wang
Bottom right - Channel cardigan, designed by Jared Flood

Also, a word about the layout: the lookbook for this collection contains some of the most "model-y" shots I've seen yet in a BT catalog (plain backdrop, pained expressions), not to mention some of the weird, trendy wardrobe choices (mahogany leather skirt, wtf?). Kind of unnecessary in my opinion, but the patterns more than make up for the bizarro styling.

Alright, I'll leave you with this last beauty, designed by Veronik Avery. Landfall is truly amazing, and stands out as one of the few (the only?) times BT has done a longer length cardigan. I know I'd still be knitting this come summer, but at least it would be ready for next year!



8 comments:

  1. I love the new BT sweaters too, but am having trouble getting past your bizarre statement that shawls = scarves = useless.

    A scarf is not much different from a cowl, really, in that it can serve to keep your neck warm, but in a stylish way. And a good shawl is a pleasure the likes of which are hard to describe. It can easily be tucked into one's bag if not needed, but when pulled out, can then substitute for coat, sweater, scarf and blanket in one (deliciously) fell swoop. An indispensable accessory, especially if you travel. Knit the right one and see if you still find them "useless". SMH... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrr, sorry, my reply got deleted somehow!

    Anyways, I realize I should explain my comment about shawls (it's shawls I take issue with, not scarves!). I have knit them before, mostly for others, because I find that they require constant rearranging to prevent them from falling off my shoulders. In the hierarchy of knit garments that keep your neck and shoulders warm, I infinitely prefer cowls (and scarves that stay put!). But that's just me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am kind of pulling your leg a bit, Z. You have superb taste and I love your blog. FWIW, the first shawl that really made me understand their worth, was one given to me be a fellow Raveler. It is Line Break and it is a deep red in MTosh sock. I am not sure if it is the length of it, or the quality of the yarn, but that lovely thing swathes around me and stays put perfectly. I had no idea a shawl could be so pleasurable until that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good! And thank you :)

    For a moment there, I was worried that I was about to suffer the wrath of shawl-lovers everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up - your last post on brooklyn tweed introduced me to them and I was drooling through all their old look books for hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I find it impossible to keep up with all the BT patterns I want to knit, but it's good to know they'll always be there :)

      Delete
  6. Have you started any of these five gorgeous patterns yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet :( I'm trying to be disciplined and get all my unfinished projects out of the way before I start any new ones...shouldn't take too much longer!

      -Z

      Delete