Thursday, January 2, 2014

Top 5 Misses of 2013


Rolling right along into the doom and gloom of project failure, I hereby present you with my top 5 misses of 2013. This one was a little trickier than the top 5 hits, not because I am so amazing that I never suck at anything, but because it can be difficult sometimes to pinpoint what exactly constitutes a failure. For example, I almost put my first three attempts at the pleated Salme top up here, but opted not to because it (finally) worked out in the end. Ultimately, I chose to focus on three project related bombs, and two that are more generally related to this blog. In no particular order, here they are:

Aidez Cardigan - Yes, this sad pile of cabled wool is actually my almost-completed Aidez. Why is it in pieces, you ask? Because I wantonly ignored all the very apt and useful warnings about this pattern that literally litter the internet, and didn't modify the sleeves to allow for extra ease at the top. Boo! I actually sewed the whole thing together before the truth monster bit me on the ass. Now, I'm in the strange position of having to knit gussets to put in the underarm seams, which makes this more of a failure in progress. Fingers crossed that it can saved!

Vogue Top 1247 - Oh, beautiful, panelled, Rachel Comey Vogue top, how you infuriate me! I've made you three times now, and every time you fail in some crucial way: sometimes it's a poor fabric choice, sometimes it's ill-made modifications, and sometimes you inexplicably turn out looking like hospital scrubs. I will never again be deceived by all the successful versions of you that occasionally turn up on sewing blogs around the world, for you have broken my heart.

My Lack of Photography Skills - What can I say? For someone who took photography in art school, my photographs for this blog leave a major something to be desired. There has been some improvement since the beginning, but I have to say that it's more than a little disheartening that so much Photoshopping is required to make them look decent. I like to blame my crappy camera and the lack of natural light in my apartment, but essentially, I need to step it up going forward.

French Terry Sweatshirt - Quel echec! This almost worked, but alas, its ultimate failure was twofold: the weird, cone-shape effect of the raglan at the neck, and my horrific attempt at putting in the neck binding. My shoulders are pretty square, so I often have to modify raglan sleeves that have an overly gentle slope towards the neckline. I almost made it work, but the neck binding really pushed this project into Crapsville for me: it started too loose, then it was too uneven, and finally, I was left with so little fabric to work with that I had to stretch it so hard I broke a needle on my serger :(

Failure to Update Blog: Yeah, I'm confident this is a popular one for many bloggers. I won't belabour the point, since we all feel the pressure to blog more regularly, but here's hoping I can at least manage one or two posts a month this year.

All in all, the failures of 2013 were not too major or disillusioning. Now that the negativity is out of the way, I look forward to sharing the last 3 top 5 lists in the days to come :)

5 comments:

  1. I've always thought the photos on this blog were great! Simple and elegant. :)

    Speaking of Aidez (of which I have painstakingly made TWO!), I came across this pattern the other day and it struck me as having all the best qualities of Aidez and none of the crappy ones (tight arms, seaming etc).

    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cinnamon-girl-cardigan

    Happy new year! X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I'm hoping the picture thing is just one of those peeves that's more of an issue to me than anyone else.

      And I love the Cinnamon Girl! I'd seen it a few days ago while trolling Ravelry, but I didn't realize until just now that the gauge is 16 sts. I may have finally found a cool pattern for my stash of Rowan Cocoon :)

      Delete
    2. I haven't knit Cinnamon Girl yet, but I have knit two other sweaters by that designer and they fit beautifully, I'd recommend any pattern of hers!

      Delete
  2. Ahh, photography & blogging! That was my downfall in 2013, too, and something I plan to knock out of the park for this year. Now, where did I put my instruction booklet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had 2 of those things on my to do list, a french terry sweatshirt and vogue 1247! I haven't bought 1247 yet. maybe I will hold off! But I am armed with a beautiful wool french terry, so I will for sure be doing a muslin first..
    And better photography. a constant goal of mine also!

    ReplyDelete