Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Top 5 Hits of 2013


As previously mentioned, I've decided to participate in the Top 5 of 2013 roundup that was started by Gillian at Crafting a Rainbow, and what better way to begin than by focusing on the positives? Before I start, I should probably let you know that my selection criteria was based around 95% on how much I wear the finished object, and 5% other stuff. No matter how magically enjoyable something was to make, if I don't wear it at least twice a week (or more!), it's dead to me, lol. So without further ado, here are my top 5 project hits for 2013:

Exeter Cardigan - Sneaking in at number one (because I mostly worked on it in 2012, shhh!), is this little wonder. It demonstrated a real leap not only in what I was technically comfortable with in knitting, but in what I believed I was actually capable of. And because I knit it from Briggs & Little Tuffy, it has weathered a ton of wear with grace and resilience. Also, it's super warm!

Caramel Coat - This one ranks high because as soon as the weather was too cold for my olive jacket, I slipped it on and haven't looked back (except for the odd day now when I need to haul out my ratty old peacoat, but that's pretty rare). It was my first time putting in a proper lining, blind hemming and all, and the fabric has really stood up to the weather.

Salme Bag - Although this was a minor project in comparison to some of the ones that did not make the list, this bag trumps pretty much every other thing I've made this year in terms of frequency of use...because I use it every damn day! It is the epitome of a perfect project: simple in style, easy to throw together, endlessly useful.

Plaid Shirt - Not only was this my first button up shirt, it was also an epic journey in plaid matching. I wear this shirt A LOT (much to the chagrin of my more professionally dressed colleagues), and sadly, there is some wear starting to happen. It will be a sad day when I have to retire this one, but it has more than paid back the time it took to match up the fabric!

Stasis Sweater - So, it was kind of difficult trying to pick between Relax and Stasis for my favourite sweater this year. In the end, Stasis won solely on the basis of a successful colourwork yoke, which I'd never attempted before (also, I *still* haven't woven in the ends on the inside of my Relax sweater, which makes it slightly less enjoyable to wear). This sweater gets a lot of compliments, which is always nice, although I have to be careful not to get too excited when I get one or I'll sweat and felt up the armpits, lol.

And that's it! I feel like I should also give a little shout-out to both of my relatively new sewing machines (Janome SUV 1122 and Singer Stylist II serger, respectively), because they have been a dramatic improvement in my sewing life. Obviously, having new machines does not automatically make me any better at sewing, but it has been a blessing to have good, working sewing machines to work with, and not having to fight with my tools makes me want to sew even more!

OK, if all goes according to plan, I'll be back tomorrow with my Debbie Downer top 5 misses!

2 comments:

  1. What excellent faves ~ I love how your choices basically come from each part of your wardrobe! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was a good year for making things that I actually used a lot. The pressure's on for 2014 :)

    ReplyDelete