Yes, a new fall coat! I have been dreaming of/working on/avoiding finishing this coat since last spring. You might recall that I did a post on my olive coat around that time, and waxed enthusiastic about the pattern I used. I may have also blabbed in the comments about how I couldn't wait to launch into another version, since it fit so well and sewed up so nicely. Well...half a year down the line, I have finally finished a lovely caramel twill version, complete with proper lining, and I love it!
The original pattern does not actually include instructions for a lining, so like I did with my olive coat, I improvised (only this time I used a proper lining fabric). I had actually finished most of this coat in August, but there was some topstitching to deal with and the hemming of the lining to sort out. I had never actually done a blind stitched hem before, and had to rip out the first attempt because I was getting some weird-ass puckering along the bottom of the coat. But in the end...c'est si bon!
All in all, there isn't a whole lot to really say about this coat, other than it fits and I really like it. Apart from adding the lining, I modified the body shape just a little to be more boxy and less a-line (I think I made the arms longer this time too, and put an extra wide cuff on them). While the fabric I used for the lining is by no means anything luxurious, it does feel great to slip into and adds a little bit of warmth as well. Again, if you've never made a coat before but would like to, I would urge you to track this pattern (Simplicity 3694) down on ebay or etsy if you can: it's simple but stylish, easy to play around with and modify once you're comfortable, and the pockets are the easiest I've ever come across (and Lord knows, I love me some angst-free pockets!).
For myself, this pattern will be taking a break for the time being, as I have two other coats on the go using a different Built By Wendy pattern. And if anyone has any coat projects on the go, please leave a link/talk about them in the comments!