Sunday, September 8, 2013

Bagged

 I made a bag. I know, hardly the most exciting thing to make and post about, but it was long overdue and desperately needed. I have a tendency to wear and use things until they literally fall apart...and then patch them up and use them some more...and then do without them entirely when they finally crawl off to expire under the laundry basket, even if it's something I need on a daily basis. If you don't believe me, check out my underwear drawer *shudders*.

Case in point: my go-to bag up until yesterday was one of those re-usable bags that indie stores print their store names on and give away when you spend a certain amount. I'm pretty sure I acquired it a few jean purchases ago, and since I only buy new jeans once every two years, that gives you an idea of how old this thing was. I had actually turned it inside out so the visible side was an increasingly faded black, with one of the poorly stitched side seams split halfway to the bottom. It was truly in a sad and barely serviceable state.


But we all need something to haul our crap around in, right? So I picked up some cream-coloured canvas, brought some black twill out of the stash, and went to work with a Salme tote bag pattern (which has disappeared from their site since I downloaded it sometime ago??). I was initially just going to cut out the fabric and sew it the following day, but it came together so quickly that I just went for it. Clearly there aren't a lot of bells and whistles: it's a bag. With some colour-blocking. And a handy inside pocket for my cell phone. But this is what it means to make your own wardrobe: it's not all cute tops and fun fabric. It's also the plain everyday stuff, and to be fair, I'm quite excited to have a bag that won't dump my lunch all over the bus every time we hit a sharp turn. Yay!

So I haven't done a sewing post in a bit, and to be honest, I was planning on something a little more exciting than this...but rest assured, it's only a matter of time. I went a little coat crazy during the last couple of weeks, so once a few finishing touches are applied, there will be some pretty exciting things happening up in Quixotic town! Also, unrelated to anything sewing/knitting, there was some pretty fantastic drama during my first week back teaching. I'm talking thunderstorms and power outages, folks, and that was just on the first day! Nothing like trying to calm down twenty-two 5 and 6-year-olds in the dark while one of their classmates repeatedly yells "we are gonna DIE!". Good times :)


7 comments:

  1. You should feel GOOD about yourself that you use things down to the last thread! Too often we get the message that we need shiny new things. My things seem to last forever, which is perfect for the time I need to craft any replacements :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, it's true! I am happy to make use of things for as long as possible (and sometimes longer)! Luckily, the small desire I have for shiny new things is perfectly counterbalanced by my general loathing for shopping, so I always end up making replacements in time.

      Delete
  2. Just discovered your blog, and I'm amazed by your skill with a needle. I like the idea of being liberated from what's sold in clothing stores, but don't think I will ever come close to being able to produce clothing like this at home. Anyway, great tote - an inner pocket is so important but it's always missing from simple canvas totes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! My needle skills are definitely still improving, but simple projects like these are great practice for the more involved stuff. And I have to say, I have been a long-time admirer of your blog (and overall aesthetic)! It continues to be a wonderful source of inspiration :)

      Delete
  3. Would it be weird if I said I was actually really excited by your bag post? I love a good tote bag. :D Also love the colours you chose, black and white seem to be all over the place lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all, and thanks! I'm so glad I finally got around to making it. It was so easy to put together, and has been infinitely useful since :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, also, just discovered your blog (through the Stasis pattern on Ravelry) and love your makes! I'm now filled with knitting inspiration that I cannot possibly get to soon enough.

    ReplyDelete