Saturday, August 17, 2013

Emergency Inspiration Post

Images are copyright of Susie Haumann.
Has anyone else seen this collection of patterns? More importantly, is anyone fluent in Danish and willing to translate the entire book so I can make every single thing in it? These four beauties are from the aptly named "Grey Days" pattern collection by Susie Haumann, which is available to look at and purchase (as of August 20th) here**. The book and the website are both in Danish, but I'm familiar with both Google Translate AND "The Killing", so I'm sure I could muddle through, lol.

Each pattern is named after a day of the week, and here we see Sunday, Thursday, Friday, and Monday (clockwise from top left). Aren't they beautiful? The colours, the shapes, the textures, aaaaaaah! I swear, they look like something that Rag & Bone would whip up and slap a $500 price tag on (but much, much better). I know I need more patterns and grey yarn like I need a poke in the eye, but I think I may have found all my fall knitting in one place...

**Oops, I lied. This is just the publisher's page, you can't actually order the book from them. Hopefully there will be some more info on the book's Ravely page soon...

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for a great tip! I can't believe that there are so many nice patterns all in one place! Luckily I'm Norwegian, so I can understand the patterns, but they all look fairly basic, so I'm sure you'll be able to figure them out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope so! One of the owners of my favourite local yarn store used to live in Denmark, so maybe I can pester her for any tough translation issues I have :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My phone ate my last two comments...third time's the charm?!

    Love your blog, don't remember if I've commented before but just have to say thanks for the tip, didn't know she's releasing another pattern collection. I've knit Susie Haumann's patterns for kids - I'm another Norwegian - so here's some info and tips in return :)

    Her patterns are great, but a bit wordy. You could try google for lists of knitting terms and abbreviations translated to different languages. I've seen such lists on pinterest. Or join a group for scandinavian knitters on ravelry. Maybe there is a S.H group on rav as well? Or send me an e-mail!
    Best of luck!

    Veronika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look up a list of basic translated knitting terms. I flipped through the online pattern book, and it seems that most of the sweaters have pretty basic shapes and the patterns are only a couple of pages long...this gives me hope :) I only wish the patterns would be released as downloadable versions as well as print...I have a feeling the postage is going to cost me!

      -Z.

      Delete
  4. Fortunately we are more Danes in need of translation the other way around, so there are a few helpful resources out there. I've used this a lot: http://www.paapinden.dk/ord-og-enheder/strikkeordbog.php

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, this is great! Thanks so much for this...you've saved me a lot of trouble and searching :)

      Delete
  5. Hello! Found your blog while looking for Tova Tops done in plain linen... :D Love your two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! The Tova pattern is so great, I'm going to be making another one very soon...the only sad thing about my black linen Tova is that I have worn it and washed it so often that it's becoming transparent :(

    ReplyDelete