The pattern is Ririko's aptly named "Relax" (not Brooklyn Tweed, whaaaaaaaaat?!), and I knit it up with Berroco's Vintage DK (the colour is called "oats"). There are a couple of things are that are very cool about this yarn: you get incredibly good yardage per skein (262 meters to be precise), each skein costs less than $15.00 (I only needed 4 for this top), and the fiber content contains a little nylon for added resilience. Bonus points for me, cuz I've had this stuff lying around for a couple years now, so, stashbusting!
|LOL, no WAY does my butt look that good in real life. Thank you flattering camera angle!|
This sweater also represents one of the few knits I've completed sans modifications. That's right, not a one. Actually, I tell a lie: I added about an inch or so to the arm length, but that's it. My only deviation from the pattern was to seam the shoulders, then pick up the sleeve stitches at the armholes and knit the sleeves flat before seaming the sides from sleeve cuff to hem. I did this because in spite of recent knitting progress, I am still a chicken shit when it comes to dpns. Also, also, I just remembered that I used a size 2.75 needle to knitting the neckline with, because I didn't have a short enough 3.25 to hand, and I was impatient to finish.
So above, I mentioned that this top could be re-imagined in a variety of ways, and I think that's one of the reasons I'm so excited about it right now. Before I had finished the neck, I was trying it on to see how it fit, and suddenly I started to see different versions of it in my head: sleeveless, longer sleeves, different ribbings, cabled front panels, reverse stockinette with a ridge detail, etc etc. And that's not even mentioning all the different yarn and colour combinations you could get into. I'm thinking I'd like to try a sleeveless summer version with wide stripes of double-stranded Tsumugi Silk. I've also been having a lot of trouble with Shibui's "Francis" pattern, so I may do a sleeveless version of Relax that preserves some of the design details from the Francis top.
I think I mentioned in my last post that I would be doing more sewing due to the increasingly warm weather, but I'm still having to wrestle with my sewing projects. I'm annoyed at myself for this reluctance for two reasons: a) for the first time in my life I have a room dedicated just to sewing and I should be using it, dammit! and b) the two tops I have on the go are really *quite* simple, and shouldn't be taking this long to finish. The main thing that is keeping me from getting in there and just getting shit done is my serger: I recently brought it in for repair (to the scammy tune of $100), and it's still being fussy. And by fussy, I mean it's threaded perfectly and it's still skipping stitches, eating fabric, and the loopers seem to be ever so slightly out of time. Grrrr!
Nonetheless, I was inspired by another blogger (I forget who, now) who had pledged to sew at least 15 minutes a day. That may not seem like much, but so much can be accomplished in just 15 minutes (and most days I can't even force myself to do that much). So I am hereby pledging myself to do the same: I will complete at least 15 minutes of sewing a day (or sewing-related activity, such as cutting fabric). Wish me luck, and hopefully the results will be up here soon!