As we all know, there comes a point when the UFO will NO LONGER BE DENIED. In the case of this shirt, that moment came some time this past July. I finally got it together to figure out the necessary modifications for the colour-block panels before cutting out the fabric. Now, was it a smart thing to do, this altering of a new-to-me pattern on the first go? Probs not! In fact, I had to cut the bottom panels twice and adjust the top panels because the first time the proportions didn't look right (bottom panel needed more height). It wasn't the hardest thing ever, but it was a little challenging. I had to be extra careful when sewing the bottom and top panels together because if the seam allowance had been off even a little, it would have looked wonky (especially around the front button band). Thankfully it came together reasonably well, and once that part was nailed down, the rest felt like pretty smooth sailing!
The fabric I used for the bottom panels is a navy blue tencel, and the fabric I used for the top is actually leftover chambray bedsheet from this top I made two summers ago! I kind of love the fact that cost-wise, this thing was only about $25.00 to throw together (including the pattern). It was kind of tricky deciding what to do for the buttons, but in the end I chose to match them to the darker fabric, which looks fine. Also, I used this totally awesome collar turning technique to get really good collar points!. I used to be slightly terrified of collars (and pockets, come to think of it), but I think the key is having a good pattern and some trustworthy techniques under your belt.
The *only* thing that's a bit of an issue with this shirt is the size. For some dumb reason, I cut out a size 8, even though I'm actually a size 10 in this pattern. And upon closer comparison of a favourite shirt with the finished Archer measurements, I found that I probably should have cut out a 12 to get the slightly oversize fit I like in a button-down shirt. Yoiks! It's not too small by any means, it's just a slimmer style than I had envisioned, which is FINE, because I can only be a Sloppy McScruffers so much of the time.
Well, that's it for this guy. If anyone wants any tips on making their own colour-blocked version of this shirt, do make your queries via the comments. It's actually fairly easy, and a fun variation on an already great pattern :)